9.27.2010

Coincidence is God's way of remaining anonymous . . . . Albert Einstein

 

An old book arrived in the mail on Saturday 
that I had been waiting for:




I didn't get a chance to look at it until Sunday morning,
when I sat down at my desk and started to thumb through its charming pages.


One of the first definitions I came across was this:




I thought it was cute and funny and made a mental note that if I ever cut myself, I should remember that illustration because I could use it somewhere.  Then I went upstairs to chop vegetables.

While I was chopping, I thought, "Wouldn't it be funny if I cut myself?" but of course I didn't.
And I promptly forgot about it.

Until about 30 minutes later when I picked up a piece of glass for a picture (the kind I handle ALL THE TIME) and sliced my finger.  A real bleeder.  And not funny at all.



And of course the event raised all kinds of questions about predestination and fate and psychic abilities and why I never seem to have a decent bandaid in the house.


I'm not the first person to chew 
on those kinds of questions, of course . . . 

Some of the great philosophers have taken them on as well.
 







I'm not going to spend too much time worrying about it.

Even if, as Publilius Syrus figured out way back in the first century,

Fate is not satisfied with inflicting one calamity.

I'll just avoid driving my car for a few days.  Or crossing the street.  Or riding my bike, roller-blading, climbing on ladders (or walking under them, of course), going upstairs, going down, climbing in or out of the bathtub, handling sharp objects, using toxic chemicals  . . . . I'll just do something completely safe and ordinary.






Hmmm. Yes, sewing would be just the thing. 
Of course, there's always this thought:


"A person often meets his destiny 
on the road he took to avoid it."

Jean de la Fontaine



Well now that's just not fair.  
If I stay home and sew to avoid driving the car, I'm doomed.  
If I drive to Target to avoid sewing, I'm doomed . . .







Actually, I absolutely have to go to the post office. 

And I'd like to stop and get a bite of lunch . . . .








"Fate is like a strange, unpopular restaurant, filled with odd waiters who bring you things you never asked for and don't always like."
Lemony Snicket



(But if I do, I'm going to choose my restaurant 
very carefully.)







6 comments:

Wendy said...

Do I ever know what you mean. I was just telling someone yesterday that we were predicted to have a long, rough winter, and that I did not look forward to the ensuing and lengthy power outages associated with it (and thinking all the while to myself that I should not invite fate by even mentioning such things :/)

I had barely sent the email when the power went out. Mind you, it was 72 and sunny outside. Fate has a wicked sense of humor.

Judy said...

Ah, I feel for your poor finger--literally. My little cut is just about healed. Watch out for sewing, though. Haven't you stitched through your finger before? I know I have. Of course, that was with a sewing machine, and I think you use a different kind than I do--the human kind. Good luck with staying safe!

Leenie said...

Deep thoughts. We're all DOOMED, DOOMED. We just never know when. And that is a very good thing. Fun post. Fun collection of pics and quotes.

Allie said...

What a hysterical and been-there-done-that post! Stay safe, Susan!

susan m hinckley said...

9:29 pm . . . no calamities yet. Phew.

Unknown said...

you are invited to follow my blog

Blog Widget by LinkWithin