6.18.2010

And now . . . a Menacing Magpie (for some Friday fun.)

  
 










 




   
Fear

the mind shrieks
a blunt jab or sharper
stabbing sound
the drag of a knife
across a china plate
smooth edged, waiting
to slice what's there
familiar dread
the idea of how the cut
will feel, bleed
fear


--smh




A Friday Magpie Tale -- ready to give it a try?
Write your own! 
Then visit Magpie Tales to see 
where others' creativity has taken them.

*    *    *    *    *


When I first saw this photo prompt, I didn't think I'd be able to come up with a thing.  But then I recalled a conversation I had with my sister last week while we were playing cards.  I had suddenly remembered my grandfather's knife and when I asked, she of course remembered it as well.


I've always been a legendary 'fraidy cat --
 




At night we would play cards or dominoes and Grandpa would often bring his knife to the table to cut himself a piece of fruit.  It was a small paring knife, black handled and cruelly sharp.  Well used, he handled it like an old friend.  When he would rest it across his plate I  had a hard time keeping my eyes off the dark sliver and on my hand -- something about the worn shape of the blade demanded my attention.

Although I never for a moment feared my grandfather, 
his knife struck me as just the thing to do something nasty in a scary movie.

(But like I said in the beginning, I was
an easily frightened little thing with a BIG imagination.)


Here's wishing you a 

FULL O' FUN, 
FROLICKY, 
FREE, and 
FESTIVE  
FRIDAY.

(that has nothing whatsoever to do with fear)





13 comments:

Helen said...

WOW! I could actually 'feel' your wonderful Magpie!

Anonymous said...

blunt knife across a china plate...can feel that....great magpie...bkm

Anonymous said...

blunt knife across a china plate...can feel that....great magpie...bkm

Unknown said...

Great magpie.

Anonymous said...

Amazing magpie and loved the personal story as well..thanks for sharing.

RA said...

I liked your Magpie. I liked it a lot. :)

Brian Miller said...

the knife across the plate gives this an audible texture...then the blood....nicely layered. great magpie!

HKatz said...

the drag of a knife
across a china plate


Reading these lines set my teeth on edge, and the whole poem made me tense up. Sharp use of words :)

Tess Kincaid said...

That scritching on a china plate always makes my uncle salivate...kinda like Pavlov's dogs...heehee!

Lyn said...

Oh yes, you can scare me like this anytime!! Terrific mag!

Kathe W. said...

yikes-lke the dragging sound of
bad flatware against bone china..great Magpie!

Tumblewords: said...

Terrific sound and soul effects!

Aoife.Troxel said...

Very tense with beautiful feeling (hate that knife on plate sound)!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin