12.22.2011




Christmas is a season of wishes . . .





Wishing it would snow, or wouldn't. 






Wishing you didn't have to do so much work, 
 or wishing you could get everything done you'd like to do.






Wishing you were getting something wonderful, 





or wishing you had something perfect to give.




  
And on top of it all, 
always wishing to be with the ones you love.



We spent time watching a favorite Northern Exposure Christmas episode the other night, and I was reminded of how much I wish I could still turn on my TV and see things like Northern Exposure...





On this particular episode,  
Chris-in-the-Morning delivers a little holiday reflection
that I just love.  It perfectly sums up my  
Small Works Christmas wish 
for each of you. 







"It's an old legend, that on Christmas Eve at midnight, all the animals fall on their knees and speak -- praising the new born Jesus. 

"Back in the winter of '68, my Dad was doing a short term for D and D.  Mom was -- I'm not sure where Mom was.  Anyway, I was home alone on Christmas Eve and I stayed up late to see if my dog, Buddy, would talk.  He did -- at least I think he did.  I don't remember Buddy's exact words, but that's not important.  What matters is that a seven-year-old boy experienced his own personal epiphany.

"My point?  It's that Christmas reveals itself to each of us in a personal way -- be it secular or sacred.  Whatever Christmas is -- and it's many things to many people -- we all own a piece of it.  Kinda like Santa's bag, inside there's a gift for everyone.

"My Christmas wish for you tonight -- may your dog talk."


Whatever you wish for this holiday . . .

whether it be something lofty as world peace,




or practical as a new vacuum cleaner, 




my dear friends,
     
I hope you find it. 



In your heart or in your stocking.  

(Or maybe both.)


    

4 comments:

Lynda Halliger Otvos (Lynda M O) said...

Wish for Holiday Happiness in your sphere, Susan. Snow--it's a lovely postcard background and I may yet learn to drive on ice...

Happy Happy Christmas and New Year to you.

luanne said...

Susan, I wish you a wonderfully Merry Christmas with your family. Laugh, eat, stay warm & enjoy!

Leenie said...

Well done! Christmas is a time of wishing and hoping for big and little things.

Northern Exposure--at least the first seasons--were my favorite! That is one program I'd probably like to have in a set. So well written. Your Chris-in-the-morning reflection us an excellent example of that. Not much exploding, murder or bare skin, just humanity with all its flaws, quirks and goodness.

I've always thought appliances were a poor gift for a woman--sort of like giving a toilet plunger to a man. But if I had a fairy godmother with deep pockets she could leave me one of those $600 Dyson vacuum cleaners and wouldn't even have to put a ribbon on it.

May your best wishes come true! Merry Christmas.

susan m hinckley said...

Thanks, friends! Best wishes to you and yours as well. I too would be happy with a Dyson, and if I had a fairy godmother who could teach Cooper to use it, better still....

Peace and love to all!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin