11.19.2010

Finger-lickin' Friday Fare . . .

  
One of the perks of my new studio space 
that I underestimated is this one:



Yes, that's Hoss on my TV.  You may have thought I only joked about watching Bonanza . . . well.


It's only November, but since it turned cold I've turned on the gas fire every afternoon and it not only looks lovely, it heats the entire space, making it a truly cozy nest.




I only wish you could all come over for a little get-together . . . you could bring whatever you happen to be working on, I'd keep stitching away on the border that is driving me crazy. I'd even turn off Bonanza so we could have a real visit.

There's no snow expected until Sunday, so getting here shouldn't be a problem for you.  I've already stocked up on hot cocoa (and diet coke, of course) and I'd be happy to bake for you, if you'd like.


My latest recipe obsession would be perfect for just such a party:

Gingerbread (from the Santa Fe Cookbook!)
with Orange Cream-Cheese Frosting

1/2 cup sugar
2 Tbsp. oil
2 Tbsp. butter
1/2 cup molasses
1 egg
1/2 tsp. salt
3/4 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. powdered ginger
1 tsp. cinnamon
1-1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup boiling water

Heat oven to 350.  Mix sugar, oil, butter, molasses and egg.  Add salt, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon and flour and mix well.  Add boiling water and stir.  Pour into well-greased loaf pan.  Bake 35 minutes. Cool 10  minutes before removing from pan.

Frosting:

1 (8oz.) pkg. softened cream cheese
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. orange extract
2-1/2 cups powdered sugar

Beat cream cheese until fluffy.  Beat in vanilla and orange.  Slowly beat in powdered sugar.  Seem like too much frosting?  It's not. Slather frosting on top of cooled cake, allowing it to ooze down the sides.  Store tightly covered  in refrigerator.

I could eat this frosting with a spoon (and have).  It's something about the orange, I think.  I've always made my orange frosting with orange juice, which is good, but not the same as this.  WOW.



Just right for a freezing Friday . . . if you're lucky enough to NOT be freezing just now, tuck it away because it will surely come in handy sometime.


If you can't sit in front of my fire, 
I wish you a cozy weekend 
in front of your own  --

(or your fan, if you live in a different hemisphere . . . happy weekend wishes to all!)



   

6 comments:

Karen M said...

That sounds so good! You could even leave Bonanza on, because its fun to see the horses. Trying to remember- doesn't Little Joe have a beautiful paint horse?

susan m hinckley said...

YES HE DOES! It's one of my favorite things on Bonanza! I tried stitching one like it once, but it looked oddly like a holstein cow in a horse's body . . .

Leenie said...

We've had the wood stove going almost every evening for the past few days. There's something about a fire to huddle around that must go all the way back to the caves. Your fireplace is gorgeous! And so is Hoss, Little Joe and Adam (before he went bald). Wish I could drop by for a visit. I'd bring my watercolors and we'd have a great time. Good weekend to you.

krex said...

Thanks for sharing the recipe...sounds like exactly the kind of thing I will never dare make because I would eat it all in one setting .

Karen S said...

Oh yum. And it doesn't even have any chocolate.

It's unseasonably warm here in South Central WI -- but it'll be cold by Thursday. I have a fireplace in the family room -- I wonder if I could use this space for a studio if I got rid of the family folks...It looks so cozy.

I like the horses too -- they're my favorite thing on those old westerns.

susan m hinckley said...

Why, that's just what I did, Karen! Got rid of the family and made myself a studio! (Luckily we have another family room upstairs, and I think the family was grown and ready to move on anyway . . .)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin