2.22.2010

Who says Monday can't be F-U-N-D-A-Y?


They do rhyme, after all.

And I came across something last week that positively tickled me pink,
so I think a February Monday is exactly the place to share it!

But I think Paul Lynde should introduce today's post, which is subtitled:


Kids!
I don't know what's wrong with these kids today!


Kids! They are just impossible to control!
Kids! With their awful clothes 
and their rock and roll!

Why can't they be like we were . . . 
Perfect in every way . . .
What's the matter with kids today?

The answer actually comes at the end of the song, if you remember, where we are reminded that

"Nothing's the matter with kids . . . to . . . day!"

And Small Works' Monday-Funday-Show-and-Tell 
consists of another reminder,
which comes to us courtesy of Debra Price Agrums (from her blog Artisun)
and her fantastic art students at Whitney High School,
an academic magnet school in Cerritos, CA.

I've had two daughters study art at the college level but neither one was required to do anything involving fabric.  Thank goodness we have people like Debra planting seeds for the Future Fiber Artists of America, or we might well be a dying breed!

Because I don't know a lot of today's young girls who are spending hours on end with their elders learning the needle arts.  Do you?

And even more unheard of . . . drumroll . . .
Debra's got the boys sewing, too!

So without further ado, 
Here are Debra's students and their delightful Appliquilts

First up we have Kevin Ni:

 Kevin Ni


Detail, Kevin Ni

Look at that embroidered embellishment!
Sort of makes you reevaluate your position on teenage boys, doesn't it? 



Next we have a piece by Jenny Dai:

Jenny Dai


Detail, Jenny Dai



And to round out the bird category, we have Brittaney Lee:

Brittaney Lee


Detail, Brittany Lee



Here's a sweet piece by Kelsea Lee, encouraging us to "Reach Higher":

Kelsea Lee


Detail, Kelsea Lee



And then another (fun!) piece from a boy, Daniel An:

Daniel An




Here's a piece in beautiful colors by Hilary Chan:

Hilary Chan




And one with amazing detail by Ashlee Chang:

Ashlee Chang


Detail, Ashlee Chang



And our show and tell concludes with this beauty by Anne Guu:

Anne Guu


Detail, Anne Guu

Lovely.

I'm just blown away by the creativity, the attention to detail (did you notice those backgrounds were all hand-dyed?), and the workmanship.  You all deserve a round of applause and a Small Works Salute!  Keep up the amazing work, because we can't wait to see where you go with all your talents.

Now admit it . . . our week's off to a better start just knowing these kids are in the world.  (And under the tutelage of such a wonderful teacher!)

Despite the evidence I see at the Mall of America that might lead me to suspect the contrary, I think the song may have been right --


Nothing's the matter with kids . . . to . . . day!



4 comments:

luanne said...

Wow, impressive work. How great to have students exposed to the joys of fiber arts, and their pieces suggest they learned a lot.

Gosh, I'd have loved having a teacher & class like that in high school. Inspiring! Thanks for sharing.

susan m hinckley said...

I was too chicken to take art in H.S., but my Jr. High art experience in no way resembled theirs, I can guarantee! My teacher couldn't have been less inspiring, the projects couldn't have been more dull.

Glad you enjoyed these. I think Quilting Arts is going to give them a feature, which I'll look forward to seeing.

Amelia Poll said...

Those are just utterly astounding. I don't think I would ever be able to create something like that.

I've always wanted to take an art class but have always been afraid that the teacher would kick me out because of my lack of artistic ability.

susan m hinckley said...

Why Amelia, now you sound like me! Are we perhaps related?

I'm certainly glad that (also like me) you just press on making things anyway, despite a lack of any positive reinforcement from art teachers. (It was my worst grade in Jr. High, BTW. Oops! Not my worst grade -- my worst grade was sewing, but art was a close second).

Blog Widget by LinkWithin