2.11.2009

Small Works Presents a Public Service Announcement:


"There is nothing in the world I wouldn't do for him, and there is nothing in the world he wouldn't do for me . . . we spend our lives doing nothing for each other." -- Bing Crosby (about Bob Hope)

Well now that's a little sad (funny, but sad), don't you think?

But it feels quite true today for me. It's one of my dearest friend's birthdays, which should be cause for a great lunch and some good laughs. But when I saw her (just for a moment!) at Christmas I said, "Let's get together for lunch. Soon. DEFINITELY BEFORE YOUR BIRTHDAY!" And we both laughed at the ridiculousness of the thought that we wouldn't see each other until mid February. And here it is, February 11.

She started a new job as a flight attendant this year, and I'm just consumed with small-working, so we don't see each other much anymore. Because it's her birthday today, I'll take the blame.

But there was a time when we spent every afternoon together, crafting while the babies napped, planning what to fix for dinner, talking about every topic under the sun and not really appreciating the tremendous gift we had -- time to spend every afternoon together.


Mary Engelbreit -- one of my favorites


Things change and life goes faster and faster, doesn't it? So I'm going to leave a birthday message on her machine today and promise we'll see each other DEFINITELY BEFORE MY BIRTHDAY!

(In May).

She is an antique dealer and has given me many lovely little framed mottoes over the years -- this is the first and still perhaps my favorite:




Friends are wonderful but friendship is work and I guess sometimes it seems like there's just too much work and not enough day. But I suppose I need to remind myself that it's the best sort of work, isn't it?




I guess the public service announcement is this:

"It's February 11. Do you know where your friends are?"




I'd better go make a phone call.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin